The Lector processes in with the Book of the Gospels and proclaims the word of God. They lead the Prayers of the Faithful at Mass and make necessary announcements. Lectors should have a clear speaking voice and be at ease with a group.
- There is a training session
- Workbooks are provided
- Volunteers are assigned about once a month
Ministers at the Basilica assist in distributing the holy Sacrament of Communion as either a Host Minister or a Minister of the Cup.
- There are 7 Ministers needed at each weekend Mass
- Training is provided
- Assignments average 2 to 3 times per month
MINISTERS OF COMMUNION ARE NEEDED FOR ALL MASSES
Our Ushers work in teams of four, assigned to the Mass time of their choice. Each group has a captain who ensures that information and direction reaches each member. Captains facilitate assignments and we try to keep the groups large enough so that personal schedules can be respected. Ushers serve on a weekly basis or less frequently if need be. Duties include:
- Arriving early to open doors and generally prepare for Mass
- Seating and assisting people as necessary
- Making all feel welcome
- Taking up collections
- Distributing bulletins
This is a behind-the-scenes team. They prepare all the necessities before Mass on weekends or Holy Days, and ensure that everything is replaced properly following Mass. Some Sacristans elect to serve at weekday Masses.
- Arrive at least 30 to 45 minutes before Mass
- Stay about 20 to 30 minutes after Mass
- Training is provided
- Assignment frequency averages once a month
For more detailed information about the Sacristan Team Ministry, and how to contact the Sacristan Teams Coordinator, click on "Sacristans" on the Liturgy and Worship page.
Although it is a component of the Liturgy Commission, the Altar Society is an independent organization with officers and members who serve God by maintaining the sanctuary and chapels. Some of the duties are:
- General cleaning of the Altars and Sacristy
- Replenishing candles and holy water
- Maintaining the linens and flowers
- Decorating the church for major feasts and special occasions
- Oversight and upkeep of linens and vestments
To inquire further about the Altar Society, contact Sue Donato, President, at 298-8433.
The Basilica of Saint Lawrence is blessed to have perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Our Bishop has granted permission for adoration from the hours of 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Adorers are always needed. Hours of one’s choice are the best-spent time possible.
There is a support committee which works to promote adoration and prayer. each month this group provides Parish Prayer sheets with prayer and meditation appropriate to the theme of the month. The aim is to encourage our parish to pray privately but united in heart and purpose.
Coordinator JaneSorrells, 298-0334, is happy to assist anyone interested in signing up for an hour a week.